2021 #EURegionsWeekUniversity12 October 2021
Date and time
The European Week of Regions and Cities (#EURegionsWeek) is the biggest annual Brussels-based event dedicated to regional policy. This event serves as a platform for discussing and showcasing the development of EU cohesion policy and making decision-makers more aware of the importance of regions and cities in EU policymaking. More info: https://europa.eu/regions-and-cities/home_en
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and taking into account the related health and safety restrictions (social distancing) the 2021 #EURegionsWeek will take place in a digital format.
The University Sessions are organised by the European Commission, Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy (DG REGIO)and the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) advised by the Regional Studies Association European Foundation (RSA Europe) and with the cooperation of the European Regional Science Association (ERSA) and the Association of European Schools of Planning (AESOP).
The academic societies (led by RSA Europe) will host the following 10 online sessions:
- Are Integrated Sustainable Urban Development Strategies contributing towards a more cohesive EU territory?; 13/10/2021, 09:30 - 11:00 CEST (Eduardo Medeiros, ISCTE, Portugal)
- Alternative and local food systems (ALFS) in a post-COVID World; 12/10/2021, 09:30 - 11:00 CEST (Gusztav Nemes, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Budapest & Corvinus University, Hungary)
- Border Regions as Living Spaces; 14/10/2021, 09:30 - 11:00 CEST (Martin Klatt, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark)
- Digital tools for the recovery and the resilience of cities and regions during and after a pandemic; 13/10/2021, 16:30 - 18:00 CEST (Emmanouil Tranos, University of Bristol, United Kingdom)
- EU Funds, Quality of Sub-national Institutions, Rule of Law, and COVID-19 recovery; 12/10/2021, 11:30 - 13:00 CEST (Mihaly Fazekas, Central European University, Austria)
- European stakeholder values regarding the Green Deal. Does space matter?; 13/10/2021, 11:30 - 13:00 CEST (Tomas Ponce DENTINHO, University of Azores, Portugal)
- Regional Growth Against All Odds; 12/10/2021, 16:30 - 18:00 CEST (Markus Grillitsch, Lund University, Sweden)
- Spatial Justice in Post-Pandemic Europe; 14/10/2021, 11:30 - 13:00 CEST (Michael Woods, Aberystwyth University, United Kingdom)
- Supporting disabled and ethnic minority entrepreneurs: An engaged scholarship approach to inclusivity; 12/10/2021, 14:30 - 16:00 CEST (Helen Lawton Smith, Birkbeck, University of London, United Kingdom)
- The changing landscape of regional inequalities in the EU: economic, social and political dimensions; 13/10/2021, 14:30 - 16:00 CEST (Yannis Psycharis, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, Greece)
The further details and how to register will be published in due course. The event is free to attend, but pre-registration is necessary.
To give you a flavour of what to expect, the recordings of the 2020 University Sessions are available on the REPLAY section at: https://rsaeurope.org/news/the-rsa-europe-at-the-2020-euregionsweek/